Ombre nails are a thing of the decade. In the recent past, the glitterati has seen a tremendous rise in the evolution of various forms of nail art. Be it sponge bobbing or stencil art or airbrushing, nail art trend is ever rising.
In today’s blog post we will walk you through step by step guide on how to do Ombre nails or the gradient nails. But first, Let us find out what ombre nails are in reality.
In most simple terms a gradient nail is an interplay of colors of the same color in various shades from light to dark or vice versa just like Ombre hair. It is usually done on the entire nail space and worn by itself without any other embellishments.
Ombre nails are a relatively cheaper option to oomph up your party looks or wedding game as you can do it at home easily without having to spend a considerable amount of your precious savings on the nail salons. And definitely, it can save your valuable time from the exhausting salon queues as well.
How to Do Ombre Nails
Are you’re desperate to learn the art of doing Ombre nails yourself? Believe me its super easy, if you follow the steps discussed in upcoming lines:
Prerequisites Ombré Nails
The first step to a perfect “Ombre nails” is to ensure that your nails are clean and free from the leftovers of your previous nail color. Along with it you must clip and file your nails properly so that it is in perfect shape.
The perk of getting “Ombre nails” is that you don’t need long nails, you can carry it with short nails as well. You can sport a perfect square or oval tip or round-tip as per your choice.
Things you need for Ombre Nails
- Top coat
- Solid color nail shade of your choice
- Nail polish remover
- Make up sponge for the gradient effect
How to Make Ombre Nails: DIY Instructions
Now you have got all the things for doing Ombre nails; its time start to learning the Ombre or Gradient nails article.
So without further delay why don’t you start checking the first step:
1. Apply an even thin layer of base coat to all your nails. The base coat can be clear or tinted depending upon the main shades chosen.
The base coat here plays an integral part as it will prevent from the future chipping off the nail and ensure that your manicure stays for the longest time.
2. Next step is to dry the nails so that you can proceed with your primary goal, i.e., the “ombre nails.” To dry your nails faster, you can dip your nails into the chilled water which ensures even drying.
Alternatively, you can also nail dryer for the purpose.
3. After your nails are completely dry, cut the sponge to the shape of your nails. Either round or triangle or rectangle.
4. Now carefully draw thin strips of the main nail shades on to a clean plastic sheet and using the toothpick mix the intersection of the colors then transfer the color to the prepared sponge.
This keeps the paint smooth on the sponge.
5. Next, you have to dab on the colors to your nails lightly. You can start from the side and slowly move to the other side. Don’t be too harsh while doing it as it can distort the colors.
Only practice can perfect this art.
6. After you complete the process, you might be horrified to see the polish has reached out over to the outer skin. Don’t worry.
Dip an earbud in nail polish remover and slowly wipe the excess or you can apply glue around the side of your nails before starting the process and pull it off after the glue has dried.
7. Next precisely apply a thin layer of top coat that dries fast over to your nails. And there you have the ready set of beautifully done “ombre nails.”
Team up the look with the perfect pair of outfit and shoes and be dressed to kill. For a clear idea, you can check out the following screenshot:
How to Do Ombre Nails without Sponge
1. If you don’t have a sponge to work with, you can use a sponge tip eyeshadow applicator.
2. You have to put the nail color evenly on to all the sides of the applicator. Then you have to roll the applicator over your nails. Then follow the same steps.
3. You can alternatively use cotton balls or folded tissue paper, but the effect would not be as good as the sponge one.
You can also check out this amazing videos on how to paint Ombre Nails at home:
How to Paint Ombré Nails At Home (Video Tutorial)
Tips for Doing Ombre Nails perfectly
- Make sure you have a smooth base coat that is completely dry.
- You can alter the length of the gradient by using the toothpick
- The sponge that you are using had to be dipped in water and squeezed semi-dry. This will prevent the excess absorption of paint in your sponge.
- The base coat has to be selected carefully as that will determine the final effect. If you choose a darker gradient, then the base coat will have to be preferably light. Whereas if the gradient is light, then a pastel pink or clear base coat will enhance the effect.
- You can add a teeny tiny bit of glitter to enhance the look.
- If your nails are short, then use a lighter shade for the gradient which will make your nails look longer.
- For longer nails, anything works fine. You are free to experiment with any shade.
- Don’t use any other embellishment on the “ombre nails” as it might kill the look.
Hope this article has given you the right dose of encouragement needed for you to prep up for the “ombre nails.”
Once you have made up your mind, there is no stopping you. But don’t be disheartened if you don’t get the perfect result in the first time. Keep trying, and soon you would master it. Keep shining!