If you are also the one facing the issue of postpartum vaginal odor, Fret no! We made up this blog with all the super easy yet effective solutions that surely help you to get rid of this fishy smell.
After giving birth, you may be open to many infections. There are many open wounds in the uterus area, cervix, vagina or perineum, if you have a c-section. Doctors estimated that deliveries with C section or PROM-Premature rapture of membranes are at high risk of infection.
It is not like that you will get a postpartum infection in the pelvic area only. Infection can also occur in the kidney or the bladder too if you needed to be catheterized. According to information shared by the American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG), 38% of the female suffer from the infection of private parts.
So, what is the reason behind postpartum vaginal odor? More precisely, the odor is related to the monthly menstrual periods, the type of food she consumes, the presence of external factors like bacteria, and other hormone related issues.
The straightforward rationale behind smell from the vagina is because it is exposed to various secretions and those discharges handle the way it smells.
However, do not be embarrassed at all. It is natural for a vagina to smell differently at a different period and we are here with effective solutions to get rid of vaginal smells.
According to information shared by the American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG); these below are the prime reason for vaginal odor.
- Lack of proper hygiene
- Infection due to yeast
- Bacterial vaginosis
- Retained or lodged tampon
- PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease)
- Rectovaginal Fistula
- Vaginal or Cervical cancer
If we talk about the symptoms of fishy vaginal odor after pregnancy; it may depend on the area of infection. Common symptoms may include- fever, pain, tenderness in the infected area, foul smell, or discharge from the infection or from the wound.
How to Get Rid of Postpartum Vaginal Odor
In case, you made up to this blog post, then chances are you also suffering from the same issue and looking for tips to get rid of the fishy vaginal odor, right? To help you out, we decided to cover some of the possible tips to give you a clear picture to get rid of postpartum vaginal odor:
Good Hygiene Measures
- Safe & gentle vaginal hygiene practice can help to reduce the foul smell of private parts.
- The harsh soap in a vaginal area affects the vaginal PH which potentially leads to infection and unpleasant odor. Use mild vaginal washes to clean the area.
- Using a gentle, less fragranced soap help to reduce the infection.
- Change the undergarment when getting sweaty or soiled. Also, Choose Innerwear Wisely. If you are mostly into polyester and mixed-fabric types, we recommend you to discard it as soon as possible & opt for cotton stuff.
- If there is an unpleasant or fishy smell, wash the vulva with water.
Take Care of Vaginal Area after Intercourse
- If you notice fishy odor after indulging with your partner, it is a sign of bacterial vaginosis. Lubricants also affect the pH of the vagina.
- Use Condoms to prevent the contact of semen & vaginal fluids.
- Do not do douching
- Avoid the use of flavored lubricants.
Avoid Eating Sugary Stuff
- Sugary food overgrowth the yeast infection which strengthens the smell of the vagina.
- Adding watermelon, celery, apple in your diet might help to get rid of vaginal infection.
- Females should also include plenty of fluid in the diet and remain well hydrated.
- Sugary stuff is not only in junk food which is only needed to be avoided, but it is easily available in refined carbohydrates like in baked goods and in packed cereals. Try to cut off that too from your diet.
- Include more probiotics in your food, as they help to maintain a proper pH balance down there.
Forgotten Foreign Bodies
- The long-term presence of objects like a sex toy, tampon, or some contraceptive device like sponge or cap in the vagina leads to genital infection.
- After inserting some object in the vagina, you have to be very sure to wash the genital area thoroughly so that it may not cause any remnants.
- Actually, what happens is, we may not have any idea that if something stuck in the vagina, where it may lead to if it does not sanitize properly.
- It can become a breeding ground for germs which can lead to an infection.
To treat the Postpartum vaginal odor, you can also use home remedies to get rid of this foul smell. Let’s have a look at those things which can be easily available in the home and are very effective in treating foul smell:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is having balanced vaginal pH which proves to be an effective remedy in treating the fishy vaginal smell.
Rinse the vulva with 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of water.
2. Use of Garlic
Because of having anti-bacterial properties of Garlic, it is helpful in treating the vaginal infection.
Adding it to diet or taking garlic supplement can reduce the risk of Bacterial Vaginosis.
3. Nirgundi Oil
This oil is obtained from the shrub of Nirgundi. It is obtained from the leaves which contain resin, fragrant and volatile oil.
It acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant. Apply Externally. It proves to be a popular female ailment.
4. Gandhak Rasayan
This herb has equipped with rejuvenating property and a wonderful rehydrating agent. It helps to improve the immune system and eliminate the harmful effects of toxins.
The anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial & anti-microbial property of this herb is very useful in treating this infection.
Apart from the obvious reasons mentioned in the blog above, the smell can be a reason for another underlying disease. That needs to be detected.
For example, in some instances, if your vagina seems to smell stronger than usual, then you should not waste any time.
Similarly, a ‘fishy smell’ (as mentioned above) should also not be neglected. Apart from certain discharges, others are normal.
The moment you see that the order is coupling up with other symptoms you have to visit a doctor without wasting any time.
Vaginal malodor may come up with more embarrassment. The infection is dangerous and also a matter of concern and should not goes undetected or untreated. It can cause serious damage to the internal body parts. So be in hygiene and in proper consultation when required.